Resource discovery at Leeds Met Library

Just a quick plug for a new Leeds Met blog investigating Resource Discovery and Federated Searching systems for Leeds Met Library:

http://leedsmetlibrary.wordpress.com/

It is, er, blogged by my colleague @DebbieMN but will also include contributions from other library staff and recently, for example, our graduate trainee has posted about his first impressions of Serial Solution’s Summon which is billed as a “web-scale discovery service” that “allows the researcher to quickly search, discover and access reliable and credible library content.” (http://www.serialssolutions.com/summon/)

I also attended the Summon demo last week and was pretty impressed by the Google style simplicity of the search interface – which I suspect will be very popular with students – though some of my librarian colleagues did express reservations about the potential impact on information literacy and were keen to see the advanced search functionality; it is still important to teach more sophisticated information retrieval skills even if students are likely just to head to the simple search box of Google (or Summon)!

One aspect I was particularly interested in was the apparent ease with which Summon can be configured to search an institutional repository – functionality that the University of Huddersfield, who are now running Summon, have already implemented to search their EPrints repository – Huddersfield’s @daveyp tweeted this example using the name of their repository manager @graham_stonehttp://hud.summon.serialssolutions.com/search?s.q=graham+stone

Advertisements

End of a pipe dream?

I’ve been enjoying exploring Yahoo Pipes and have now managed to generate a feed for OER that also incorporates the author vCard; I’m sure it must also be possible to extract other data including rights information (though I’m not quite sure how!):

http://pipes.yahoo.com/mrnick/build_rss_from_xml

(vCard not visible in the Pipe but is displayed if the Pipe is rendered as RSS)

It also occurred to me that it may be possible to use a similar method to extract the abstract for research RSS feeds (which is in the second description field) and I’ve been grappling with Pipes to this end but am struggling at the moment – tantalisingly I am able to construct a “Path to item list” that returns an individual abstract but for the life of me, can’t figure out how to return abstracts for all records – SRW:records.SRW:record.1.SRW:recordData.lom:lom.lom:general.lom:description.1.lom:string.
content

I’ll certainly continue to use Pipes as it’s a very powerful tool, especially for a non-programmer like me, however, for the time being this mini-project is postponed. Nothing is ever wasted though and I’m sure what I’ve learned will come in useful somewhere down the line….

Pipe dream

This afternoon I’ve been grappling with Yahoo Pipes, trying to generate a feed that incorporates metadata from an SRU query.  I’ve made a modicum of progress and, as I’m now a bit stuck, this is just a quick post to document that modicum before it all leaks away over the weekend.

The Pipe module that seems most appropriate is “Fetch Data”: “This module retrieves any XML, JSON, iCal or KML file and tries to extract a list of elements using the provided path parameter.”

I input an appropriate URL to query “ukoer” which will return all OERs uploaded as part of UniCycle:

http://repository-intralibrary.leedsmet.ac.uk/IntraLibrary-SRU?recordSchema=lom&maximumRecords=50&operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.1&query=ukoer&SearchSubmit.x=18&SearchSubmit.y=24&x-info-2-auth1.0-authenticationToken=oer

And read the instructions here which describe how to use the “Path to item list” field in order to extract just a portion of the data by listing the nested XML elements, separating each with a dot (“.”)

After a bit of trial and error I was able to zero in on the “Description” field for the first record by entering SRW:records.SRW:record.0.SRW:recordData.lom:lom.lom:general.lom:description.lom:string.content into “path to item list”

However, when I attempt to run the pipe, nothing is returned  – though the correct field IS displayed correctly in the debugger panel:

Also, what I would like to do of course, is to return the “Description” field for ALL records but I have no idea how to achieve this…I’ll have another look when I’m nice and fresh on Monday morning!